Religion is the opium of the masses. It gives them mental strength, it gives a high.
Religion often is a set of rituals. Rituals which manifest through the body. If you remove the soul out of rituals, it becomes a mechanical machine movement.
Religion needs a soul. Search for the soul of your religion. You can follow any of the prescribed religions or a set of beliefs which make up your own religion.
To be productive intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually, there are 7 guidelines which could be kept in mind when deciding on your religion :
* love - does it preach love ?
* helping - does it believing in helping others ?
* forgiveness - does it believe in forgiving others easily ?
* humility - does it make you more humble ?
* gratitude - do you feel grateful ?
* patience - does it make you more calm, and patient ?
* detachment - are you able to detach from your ego, the source of attachments ?
Evaluate the religion you are following. Search for the soul through these 7 guidelines. Your search needs a "yes" answer to the 7 guidelines. It is a worthy search because it is a question of your humanity, the direction of your destiny, and the answer to your salvation.